Internet Access Information Sheet
This sheet contains all the information you’ll need to hook up to the internet with Renaissance. If you still need help after reading this sheet, please don’t hesitate to call us at 707-826-9782 between 10AM and 6PM, Mondays through Fridays. You can also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUMMARY of SETTINGS
If you already know how to set up dial-up networking, here are the settings for Renaissance:
56k Telephone number (Broad Band Dial-UP): 826-9746 (KFLEX, X2, V.90, and V.92 modems)*
DNS: Automatically assigned.
· Allow network protocol: TCP /IP
· Use IP Header Compression
· Use Default Gateway on Remote Network
· Server Assigned IP Address
· (leave all the other settings unchecked)
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.reninet.com
Incoming mail server server (POP3): pop.reninet.com
Web server: www.reninet.com
Ftp server: ftp.reninet.com
STEP-BY-STEP CONFIGURATION for WINDOWS 95/98/ME
1. Open the Dial-Up Networking window:  In Windows 95/98, double-click My Comupter, then double-click Dial-Up Networking. In Windows ME, click the start button, click Settings, then click Dial-Up Networking:
2. Double-click "Make New Connection."
3. Type "Renaissance Internet" in the first box.
4. Select your modem (if it isn't already selected).
5. Click "Next".
6. Enter: Area Code 707; Number 826-9746. Click "Next".
7. Click "Finish".
STEP-BY-STEP CONFIGURATION for WINDOWS XP
1. Under the Start button, go to Control Panel, and Network Connections.
2. Click on Create a New Connection. This will begin the New Connection Wizard.
3. Follow the Wizard instructions, clicking on the "Connect to the internet", "Set up my connection manually", and "Connect using a dial-up modem" radio controls. Give your connection (XP calls it an ISP) a name -"Renaissance Internet" works well. Finally, continue until it asks you for a phone number. That number for 56k connections is: 826-9746 (hyphen doesn't matter).
4. Next it will ask you for your username information. Enter your username and password that you entered in the Renaissance Internet application form. Leave all checkboxes checked.
You’re ready to get on the internet! Now, you need two things, a web browser and an e-mail program. Windows versions 95 and above come with Microsoft Internet Explorer to do your browsing. You can get a great email program called “Eudora Lite” on our downloads page (http://www.reninet.com/downloads). If you need help retrieving and installing it, give us a call. If you’d like to use Microsoft Outlook Express (which most computers have preinstalled) we’ve provided instructions below.
Setting up email with Outlook Express:
1. In Outlook Express, click the Tools menu, then click Accounts, then click the Mail tab.
2. In the Internet Accounts dialog box, click Add, and then click Mail.
3. In the Display Name box, type the name you want others to see when you send a message (example
Bob Smith), and then click Next.
4. In the E-mail Address box, type the e-mail address for the account you are using (for example,
"email@example.com"), and then click Next.
5. Under E-mail Server Names, select "POP3" as the appropriate incoming mail server type, and then type in
"pop.reninet.com" (without the quotes) as the names of your incoming. Type in "smtp.reninet.com" as the name of the outgoing mail server. Click Next.
6. Type your full reninet.com email address and password in the POP Account Name and Password boxes.
For example, use "firstname.lastname@example.org", even if you receive email as "email@example.com"
7. In the Internet Mail Account Name box, type a name to identify the mail account you are configuring. This is
known as the "friendly" name for the account. I usually use "reninet.com" Click Next.
8. If you are asked for a connection method select "Use any available connection."
9. Click Finish.
Note: If you ever need to change these values, click the Tools menu, click Accounts, click the Mail tab,
highlight the account you wish to edit, and click Properties. All the information you’ve entered can be
found among these tabs. (e.g., to change the pop account name, click the Server tab, and change the
entry for Account Name.) Also, viruses are extremely common these days so we highly recommend
buying a good antivirus product like Norton Antivirus. Whichever one you buy, be sure to update the
virus definitions at least once a week or the program will quickly become useless. If you need any help whatsoever, don’t hesitate to call us or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Alternate Phone Numbers:
Rio Dell: 760-0620